Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Macadamia and Coconut Banana Bread

Need a change from plain ol' banana bread?  With yummy chunks of macadamia nuts and sweet coconut, and the tang of sour cream and lemon zest, this bread is a winner. It's actually rather addictive, so be prepared for it to disappear quickly!

Coconut and Macadamia Nut Banana Bread 
Recipe adapted from Gourmet Magazine.

2-1/4 cups flour
1  tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cups (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs
1 TB freshly grated lemon zest
1-1/3 cups mashed banana (about 3 large)
3 TB sour cream
3/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted lightly and cooled

Preheat oven to 350-F.  Grease and flour (or use PAM spray for baking) a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars.  Beat in vanilla and zest. Add eggs one at a time. Add banana and sour cream.  Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.  Stir in the macadamia nuts and coconut.

Pour the batter into pan and bake for 40-50 min, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Let sit for 10 min. then remove from pan and cool on rack.

Happy Baking!

14 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely heavenly Michael Ann! I LOVE macadamia nuts. My in-laws used to get them for me when they went to Hawaii and there is nothing quite like them for texture or taste. You sure know how to take something good and make it divine Michael Ann! Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)) I'm so glad Macadamias are easy to get now in the grocery stores that have the bins. You can buy just what you need. Yes, the texture of them in this bread is really wonderful. Thanks for you sweet words, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  2. I have to admit, I'm a purist when it comes to banana bread, but this does sound delicious. I love macadamia nuts, but never have them on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Ada. I usually am too but I make so MUCH of it that it's nice to mix it up sometimes :-) I don't usually have Macadamias on hand either so I do have to plan for it, which I'm not super good at doing!

      Delete
  3. Oh how I love quick breads...and this amazing combo of flavors sounds outstanding!!!! Love it - so glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great recipe to try! I make banana bread all the time-I'll mix up a new version now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. What a great variation of banana bread. Holy cow, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delish, I just saw a recipe for coconut banana bread yummy have you set up your linky followers to replace Google friends? andi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling, I think I just gained 5 lbs looking at the delish, FABlish, droolish photo of yummyish banana bread ever! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael Ann, this is indeed a wonderful twist to the boring banana bread I'm used to, but tell me, how do you get the lemon zest? I've tried grating the lemon peel and it's just a mess! Help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bella! The best way to get good zest is with a zester. You can buy them at Target. It's a long, thin grater with tiny holes. Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog and want to make the first 10 dishes I saw! I love to bake and have been at it for over 40 years. I'm following your blog. I don't want to miss anything.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...