Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Silly Billies


I don't own a ton of cookbooks. I really enjoy them but I don't have the room to store them, and there are so many recipes to be found in magazines, newspapers and on-line.

I have a friend who collects cookbooks and has enough to fill a library. It's fun to look through all the titles and pick a few to read through.  His most recent purchase caught my fancy and I just KNEW there had to be some good recipes in it. He was gracious enough to let me borrow it. 

It's called,  The Treasury of White Trash Cooking, by Ernest Matthew Mickler and Trisha Mickler.   Ha!!  This one is worth looking through simply for the photos and stories! 

Here is the first one I tried. No explanation for the title, but they must be named after someone named Billy who either made them or loved to eat them, or both.  They were super easy to make  and turned out delicious. They were  gooey and chewy and reminded me of a bite of pecan pie.  I could imagine them with some chocolate chips or coconut (or both!) added too. 

Silly Billies

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup self-rising flour *
1/2  cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F.  Very lightly grease or spray a 9x9" baking pan.

In a medium sized pot, melt the butter. Remove from heat. Stir in the brown sugar.  Add the egg, vanilla, flour and nuts.  Lightly stir the mixture with a spoon.  Pour into pan and bake for ~20 minutes or til the top is light golden brown. Don't over-bake!  Cool and cut into bars.

*If you don't have self-rising flour on hand, just measure almost one cup of flour and add 1-1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp salt.

Happy Baking!

I'm participating in the following blog hops:

Recipe Sharing Monday

Foodie Friends Friday
Weekend Potluck


15 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh....talk about easy. And I have everything I need to make them. Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yay! Let me know how you like them!

      Delete
    2. yay! Let me know how you like them!

      Delete
  2. You ALWAYS make my lipstick smudge with all these FABulous recipes my Dear MIchael A... Guess who? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks deeeelish.

    I love anything w/ BROWN Sugar! mmmmm. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these look fabulous. I love easy and pecan pie too. How nice of your friend to share a cookbook. I have far too many recipes and need to sort through, but find when I begin to 'try'...I see lots more I really do want to make. I will be making these soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Looks so tasty! But being such a chocolate lover that I am, I'd probably want to drizzle chocolate chips on it, when it comes out warm from the oven. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think the addition of chocolate would be wonderful. I actually have a recipe for chocolate chip brownies that are made on the stove like this and have a very similar base. I should put that up sometime huh? :-)

      Delete
  6. Michael Ann, Silly Billies not only look delicious, but seem easy enough to make. Win win! I have quickly bookmarked this page and hope to be able to make these during the weekend. I love anything with pecans in it. By the way, I've made your lemon bars twice! Everyone in this home loves them and I have the Daughter hounding me for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful!!! Which ones, the Lemon Brownies of the Lemon Cream Bars? Let me know how you like the Silly Billies!

      Delete
  7. Hi cute name for a easy looking recipe. Sound delish. I am wondering what and where is the recipe for the chocolate brownie base dessert that is on your facebook page? Hope all is well, Thanks, Andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andi! Those are called Chocolate Sherry Cream Bars and can be found in the "index" section. Oh well, why don't I just give you the direct link? :)http://thebiggreenbowl.blogspot.com/2011/06/chocolate-sherry-cream-bars.html
      Thanks for asking!

      Delete
  8. I think it speaks well of your character that you picked that cookbook up out of the entire cookbook library your friend has ! :) Those look delish.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...