Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Monday, March 11, 2013

Apple Walnut Scones


I LOVE scones and am always looking for new recipes to try. I found this one long ago in a Sunset magazine article about a recipe tester, Linda Tebben, who wanted to make her scones healthier.  I'm usually skeptical of "healthier" baked goods, but decided to try this recipe anyway.  I wasn't disappointed. 

The original recipe calls for pecans but I prefer walnuts and have a huge stock right now, so that is what I used.  They are wonderful!

Apple Walnut Scones 

1-3/4 cup flour
3 TB sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup non-fat or low-fat lemon yogurt
3/4 cup peeled and finely chopped tart apple, (I used Granny Smith)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top

Preheat oven to 375-F.  Lightly butter or oil a cookie sheet. 
 
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Using a cheese grater, grate the butter into the dry mixture and stir until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in remaining ingredients until evenly moistened.  Kneed slightly with hands until ball forms.

Place dough onto cookie sheet and press into an 8-inch circle. With a sharp knife or pizza roller, cut dough into 8 sections.  Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar

Bake ~20 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool a few minutes, then re-cut into wedges.  
Recipe adapted from Sunset magazine 

Happy Baking!

5 comments:

  1. Scones are my favorite food group, this looks like an amazing combo. If everyday started with a scone everyday would be a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhh... *licking the lipstick off my lips* xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making these this weekend.

    YESsssssssssss. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, scones, muffins, coffee cakes always on my mind. This looks like a nice recipe, moist with the yogurt and a little less fat. Yummy andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok-another recipe to pin for after ski season, when I'm not waking up at these insane hours!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...