Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Valentine Cookies

I know it's not Valentine's Day. And they aren't really FOR Valentine's Day. The reason these cookies are called that is because the recipe was printed in a Valentine that my wonderful Italian Nana sent to me when I was in 7th grade. She knew I liked to bake and, by the way, she was a huge influence on me in the kitchen. This recipe quickly became a staple in our house. They are SO tasty! Chewy and delicious with coconut, oats, nuts and cereal. They aren't beautiful but remember, we don't judge a book by its cover!

The recipe calls for Corn Flakes cereal,  but you can use anything similar such as Special K, Total, or even Honey Bunches of Oats.


Valentine Cookies
Makes ~3 dozen

Ingredients:
1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 c. corn flakes
2 c. quick oats
1 c. flaked coconut
1 c chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350-F. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.  In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together, then add to the creamed mixture. Add cereal, oats, coconut and nuts and mix by hand.  Scoop or roll into balls about the size of walnuts, and place about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Do not flatten! Bake for 8-10 minutes.  Do not overcook or they will be too crunchy! (See Baking Basics.) Cool on wire rack then store in airtight container.

By the way, you can freeze any of these cookies. Just put in a freezer zip-lock bag. They keep nicely for about 2 weeks, but honestly, after that they TASTE like they've been in the freezer. Yuck.

Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. What a precious recipe!! I would say that this cookie has earned its name....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thanks Angie. I think it has too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful Michael Ann - perfect for breakfast! I worked through the night as I often do and was so hungry this morning I made dinner! Yes, dinner for breakfast, was yummy. Hey, we think outside the box right?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...