Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Saturday, August 31, 2019

Fig Pistachio Scones

I've been scrambling to use up all my figs! I've made jam, scones and cookies and even dehydrated a bunch in my new dehydrator. I have a bread recipe I want to try too.

Once again I consulted my trusty Simply Scones cookbook and sure enough, there was a fig scone recipe. Who could resist the addition of pistachios? If you don't have pistachios, slivered almonds or walnuts would be lovely as well.

This recipe makes about 6 scones.

Ingredients:
1-1/4 cup flour
3 TB brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (omit if you use salted butter)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled
1 large egg
2 TB milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts
1/3 cup chopped trimmed figs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a  baking sheet. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.  Using a cheese grater, grate the cheese into the flour mixture and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (Or cut butter in with a pastry blender.)  

In a small bowl, stir together the egg, milk and vanilla.  Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to combine.  The dough will be sticky.  Stir in the nuts and figs until evenly distributed.

Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup, drop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 3" between scones.   Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack.  Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. It is such a treat when I finally make my way back to checking my blog reading list and see you there (well actually it is always a treat to see you here with your treats). So maybe YOU are the person who can help with with figs! I bought a thing of them a few years ago to make fig jam and quickly realized the little guys were strangers to me and I didn't know how to treat them. I do think maybe I was supposed to use dried to have fig newton filling colored fig jam like at the stores? And was I supposed to just cut off the tops and bottoms? What I ended up with was a rather unappetizing looking selection of jars...my aunt ate it and enjoyed it (or at least said that to make me feel better)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea! I don't know why I didn't see the comment until now, so my reply is very late!! I made fig jam once with FRESH figs, not dried. It turned out very nice. Yes, I would cut the bottom and tops off and you don't want to use figs that are too mushy or too firm. Hope this helps?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...