Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Friday, August 9, 2019

Fig Thumbprint Cookies

We have a little fig tree and I try to eat as many as possible, just raw. Love 'em! But this year I wanted to find some recipes to use them in as well.

My Sicilian Nana used to make a traditional cookie called a Cuccidade, with sweet dough and a fig filling. They are SO good but a LOT of work, and they call for dried figs, not fresh. I will blog about those another time!

I found this thumbprint cookie on Allrecipes.com, one of my favorite recipe sites. I made a few changes and added the icing which I think really elevates the cookie.

These are not overly sweet cookies, they are more in the tradition of Italian cookies, made to dip or drink with your coffee. I love them and they received good reviews from my taste-testers!

INGREDIENTS:

Fig Filling:
1 cup chopped fresh figs (4 or 5 large figs)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Cookie:
2-2/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
Enough milk to make drizzle consistency

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Filling: Put figs, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Mixture should be slightly thinner than jam. Add more honey if necessary.

Cookie Dough: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy.  Beat eggs in one at a time, until combined. Stir in vanilla.  Fold in the flour mixture until well blended.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on a non-stick cooking sheet.  Make thumbprints into the balls with your finger or with a measuring teaspoon (dip in flour so it won't stick).  Spoon ~1 tsp filling into each thumbprint.

Bake in preheated oven about 10-11 minutes.  Don't let them get brown, they will be too crispy! They are meant to be soft cookies.  Cool a few minutes and remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Drizzle with the icing.

Enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. YUMMMMMMMMMM. I love. And superb photo, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much, my friend!!! I hope you have tried and enjoyed these delicious cookies!

      Delete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...