Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, May 29, 2011

THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies

It's True. These are the best chocolate chip cookies EVER. Way better than Toll House. I got this recipe back in the early 90's, from a recipe email listserve. It was actually called "THE BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies" so naturally I had to try it. I haven't used any other Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe since. Trust me, these are awesome!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes ~48 Cookies

2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 12oz. pkg. chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375-F degrees. Thoroughly mix (whip it good!) shortening, butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. In another bowl mix flour, soda and salt with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir in the nuts and chips.

Using a scooper, drop cookies on an un-greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cookie should still be soft! Cool slightly, then remove to cooling rack. Store in an airtight container.

Happy Baking!

12 comments:

  1. How are these cookies better than Toll House? Taste? Texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've longed for years to be able to bake good choco chip cookies. I'm trying this recipe very soon! SOOO happy you shared. I will be dreaming about baking choco chip cookies in my sleep tonight...seriously! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am peeking at recipes for cookies, so I thought I''ll try these, same recipe that I have that I got from my mother, she used only 3 cups flour............andi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you really prefer the shortening over butter? Maybe it's just me, but shortening tastes more manufactured to me. I use all butter in my cookies...but you're the baker, maybe there are other reasons you prefer shortening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mare. Yes, shortening is all for the texture. That is what gives you the chewy cookies. Shortening for texture, butter for flavor. You can do 1/2 and 1/2 in most of these recipes if you prefer!

      Delete
  7. I make Nestle Toll house with half shortening and half butter,the shortening makes them plump up a little. I definitely have to try this recipe because these cookies look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the cookies and love them, they made it in my TOP 10,
    http://rhondassaucyadventures.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...