Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Monday, November 28, 2011

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

I can almost guarantee you have never tasted anything like this sugar cookie.  It is totally different than any other sugar cookie and all I can say is you have to try it to know what I'm talking about.

MELT in your MOUTH is what these are. Literally. You might not even have to chew. And no wonder, with all the fat and sugar in this recipe!!! This is NOT the cookie to bake if you are watching your calories. Then again, what cookie is? But with a cup of butter and a cup of oil...well.....

This is a Christmas staple in our house and if I delay too long into the Christmas season before making them, I would have a riot on my hands. So, I made them first thing this year and they are almost gone already.Give them a try yourself and see how long they last!

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Yields ~50 cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup salad oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp dried lemon peel
4-1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
Colored Sugar for tops

FYI: This batter needs to sit in the fridge for several hours.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs one at a time until light and fluffy. Add oil, vanilla and lemon peel. Beat until well-mixed. In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and beat until well-blended. Wrap and chill dough for 3-4 hrs.

Preheat oven to 325-F. Use a cookie scoop (or drop by heaping tsp. then roll into balls) and set about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with colored sugar. Do not flatten the dough. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Let sit on cookie sheet for about 2 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack. Store in airtight container or freeze.

Happy Baking!

13 comments:

  1. A cup of salad oil?! I am intrigued! I love sugar cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a recipe almost identical to this only we use some almond extract in lieu of the lemon peel. They are truly absolutely delicious. (And the dough is *sooooo* good!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! A cookie that needs no frosting--hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being the cookie girl I am, always looking for yet another recipe. I have printed this and will surely give them a try. Will let you know thanks Andi thewednesdaybaker

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stealing this one too. I finally used the other recipe right before Thanksgiving. finally!

    These cookies have made my mouth water, hold on...I need to wipe my chin.

    Okay....yummy! Hey, would those cream cheese muffins work with blue berries too?

    Sharon
    http://sharon-moms-madhouse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my hubby would be thrilled if I whipped up a batch of these. One of his favorites...and these look perfect and pillowy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I LOVE sugar cookies with a passion! Will definitely be trying your recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to try these! I love that 1-1-1 ration...sinful! Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy!

    ~Mrs. Delightful
    ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeh....after seeing this cookie featured at A'lil Country Sugar...my mind has been changed about being done baking cookies. These'll be in my oven tomorrow. YUM! I've learned to trust your cookie judgement. =D Enjoy a beautiful and Merry Christmas Michael Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to try these! Never heard of no-roll sugar cookies. I'm concerned about the butter AND oil, though! Whew! They must be moist. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MA - forgot to ask - what does cream of tartar do for cookie dough? I know the use for meringue, just never heard of it for dough. email me. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...