Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bozo Bars


This is another yummy recipe from the UC Davis Coffee House Cookbook. It will take you about 10 minutes to whip these up. They are THAT easy, and yet so delicious. Kind of like a fruit crisp in bar form!

Bozo Bars
Makes 12-16 bars

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups rolled oats (do not substitute quick oats)
1 cup butter
1-1/2 cups jam (apricot and strawberry are particularly good)

Preheat over to 350-F.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Cut in the butter until mixture is crumbly. Use a pastry cutter or grate the butter in. You will need to get your hands in there eventually to get a good crumbly texture.

Pat 2/3 of the mixture (about 4 cups) into an ungreased 9" x 13" pan. Spread jam over this and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for ~20 minutes or until golden brown. Now these you don't want to under-bake because they won't hold their shape and will be gooey.

Allow to cool completely and remove from pan.

12 comments:

  1. Those sound delish!! I bet my son would love those!! Pinning as we speak!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOooooo...that looks so good! And easy is what I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were it not for the three bakery boxes in my fridge, I'd be barreling out to the kitchen right now...I'm thinking Wednesday! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! These sound good and that sounds like a great cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just got the Lieber Blog Award!

    http://lifeafterkids-echo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like gooey granola bars! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look delicious. Though I don't think I could have resisted calling them Gonzo bars.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG..lots of nice yummy looking stuff. Love these though, my son would like these for lunches. Will have to try.

    New follower on twitter please follow me back.

    https://twitter.com/#!/momtwomonkeys

    http://mischievousmonkeys.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOWZA! I love oatmeal in anything...and easy is the best too! They look so tempting. I am pinning them and hope to make them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I have the cookbook (I worked there in the early 90s) and just realized the cookbook is missing the measurements for flour and brown sugar. I want to make these for my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are excellent warm with some vanilla bean ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for posting this! I misplaced my Coffee House Cookbook and really wanted some Bozo Bars. We like to eat them with a little 1/2 and 1/2 poured over or vanilla ice cream. I love Bozo Bars!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...