Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Monday, April 9, 2012

Spice Muffins

It's an overcast and cool day, which put me in the mood for some warm spice muffins. The smell of cinnamon and cloves that filled the kitchen, reminded me of Christmas.

This recipe comes from a cookbook  called Muffins and Quick Breads, put out by the Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library. There are many tasty recipes in this little book, but this is one of my favorites.

Spice Muffins

2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 TB baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 egg
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup dried currants or raisins, optional

Preheat oven to 400-F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with PAM for baking.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, milk, melted butter and currants. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.

Spoon into the prepared muffin tins, filling almost all the way. Bake ~20 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 min., then remove to wire rack.

Happy Baking!



15 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back in the kitchen again Michael Ann! The muffins sound wonderful and I intend to make some. Thanks for sharing as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! These would be perfect with your afternoon cup of tea :-)

      Delete
  2. I love a good spice muffin. I think they're always in season! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! There you are! I was thinking of you when I cheated on my key lime squares by using regular bottled lime juice. I wondered if this was as bad as subbing a regular lemon for a meyer...or worse! Please don't stop visiting now that I have confessed this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Michael! Some things should be made and cooked "out of season." I bet your house smelled wonderful as you baked these spice muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. --I smell them all the way in MN. Mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am drooling over those photos and have saved the recipe to try. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And since it's STILL overcast, I'll make them today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't it nice? I'm kind of enjoying it.... Let me know how you like them! I just ate the last one this morning :-)

      Delete
  8. Michael Ann, I think spice muffins are great any time of the year! The aroma they leave in the kitchen as they bake is so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hungry here in Maine, I made a banana bread yesterday but It doesn't have much taste but your muffin surely looks good...........I have a muffin recipe I printed a lemon muffin should of made that instead of the banana bread. That'l teach me...............take care andi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good muffin anytime too...I'll have to look. I think I might have that same cookbook. Oh how I love how good it makes the house smell when I'm doing some baking.
    In OR out of season is just fine with me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound so good. I love anything with a good dose of spices in it. I can just imagine how these would be with some cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michael ann I made your spice muffins yesterday, very good and they are gone, and I have them posted on my blog. Come take a peek thanks, andi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party. This muffin recipe sounds great. . .I'm thinking could be easily modified to add any dried fruits or nuts. Cranberry and Walnut would be my vote!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...