Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pumpkin Scones


Here's a wonderful recipe for the pumpkin season! I found it at Sweet Pea's Kitchen, a fabulous blog that I frequent often.  I decided to go ahead and write up my own version of the recipe because I use a different method of baking scones than she does. I pretty much bake all my scones the same way, no matter what the recipe. I whisk the dry ingredients together, grate in the butter, then add the liquid.  I pat the dough in an 8-inch circle on a cookie sheet, cut into 8 wedges, and bake.  This way you don't have to roll out the dough.  I'm a lazy baker and any short cuts I can take, I will :-) 

I also like to use a plain glaze instead of the spiced one she uses. Just my own personal preference. If you don't like sweet scones, you can certainly leave off the glaze.

Pumpkin Scones

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 TB baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp ginger
6 TB cold butter
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3 TB half-and-half
1 large egg


Preheat oven to 450-F.  Lightly butter an 8-inch circle in the middle of a large cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Grate in the butter and mix until it resembles cornmeal. In a small bowl, mix together the pumpkin, egg and 1/2 and 1/2.  Add to dry mixture and stir until dough is formed.

Put the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet and pat into an 8-inch circle. Using a knife or pizza roller, cut the dough into 8 wedges (but leave in the circle).

Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven, recut the scones, then cool.

Glaze with a simple powdered sugar glaze (about 1 cup powdered. sugar and 1-2 TB milk).

Happy Baking!

10 comments:

  1. Three cheers for scones, new pumpkin puree ideas (I have several cans), lazy bakers, and having you back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fall and the main reason why is pumpkin! I cannot wait to try these! Thanks, Michael Ann!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome and thanks for leaving the comment!

      Delete
  3. Just copied and pasted.

    Thank you. I DIG love adore Pumpkin! Xxx KISS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, hope you had a great summer.....Here in Maine we are headed to the snow season........The scones look and sound delish.. Glad you posted them. Good to see you back to baking... Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andi! Must be the weather :-) I made a pumpkin pie too!

      Delete
  5. Yum! This time of year, the Pumpkin Spice Fairy sprinkles a little pumpkin flavor into everything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hurrah! And Welcome back to BlogLand! You've been missed. These scones look awesome. I hope to make them soon. Thanks so much for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...