Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Buttermilk Cake with Cider Icing

I recently bought one of those little recipe books that they place by the check-out stand at the grocery store.  I'm a sucker for those little books. I still have some from the 1970s and '80s 😊  This one is a Taste of Home collection called "Fall Baking."  I love Taste of Home so I knew it had to be good! A photo of this cake was on the cover and it caught my eye for sure.

So I made this today and it is DELICIOUS! Easy to make too. You do have to go buy some buttermilk. REAL buttermilk (not milk with vinegar added) After all, the cake features this ingredient!  You need cream cheese and apple juice or cider as well. 

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2-1/3 cups sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs, room temp
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk

Icing:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4-1/2 cup apple juice or cider 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube cake pan, or use PAM or Baker's Joy.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add it to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk. The batter will be thick.  Pour into prepared pan.

Bake 45-50 min. until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  You may need to cover the top with a piece of foil (arch it up to keep it off the batter) about 15 minutes before it's done. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.  Cool completely before icing.

When ready to ice, mix cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar. Add cider bit by bit until it reaches a pour-able consistency. I had to use the whole 1/2 cup.  Pour in a ring around the top and let the icing flow over the sides. Sprinkle with some nutmeg if desired. This actually really adds to the flavor!

Happy Baking!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...