Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Bourbon Balls


I can't believe it has taken me this long to blog about one of our family's favorite holiday treats! I guess I can blame it on lack of planning because you actually have to make these around mid November in order to eat them by mid December. They're like fruit cake in that they need to age for several weeks before they taste their best. Besides that, they are super simple to make, requiring very few ingredients. Try them, you'll love them!

This recipe was given to me by a family friend back in the 1970's.

Bourbon Balls

2 boxes Vanilla Wafers
1 12-oz pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 TB corn syrup
1/2 - 3/4 cup Bourbon
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Prep: Spread a large sheet of wax paper on your work surface to place rolled balls as you are working.  Pour some powdered sugar into a small dish for rolling the balls in.

In food processor, grind vanilla wafers until finely ground. Pour crumbs in a large bowl. Stir in powdered sugar.

In microwave, melt chocolate chips 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until smooth.  Add corn syrup to the  melted chocolate, then pour into the vanilla wafer crumbs and mix together.  Add 1/2 cup Bourbon and mix, adding more until mixture is soft but firm enough to shape into 1 inch balls. It should be the consistency of playdough. I like to use my hands to combine everything together. The mixture dries out very quickly so you have to work fast. Better yet, enlist someone to help you!

Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll in powdered sugar and place on the wax paper.  Add more Bourbon as you work if necessary. You should get approximately 90 Bourbon Balls.  Let them dry on the wax paper for an hour or so then place in a tin or air-tight container until you are ready to eat them.  Wait at least 2 weeks, preferably 3, before serving!

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...