Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Streusel Topped Banana Bread

Ok, you all know I am very devoted to my Banana Bread recipe. It's tried and true from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and I've been baking it my whole life. It always comes out perfect. I have tried other recipes with different spices or interesting ingredients. I have another with macadamia nuts and coconut that I enjoy as well, but still, I mostly stick with my BH&G Banana Bread.

Well....I have to tell you, I have finally found the OTHER perfect Banana Bread recipe. It has a streusel topping! How can that NOT be perfect? You know I love streusel toppings. And it has some delicious spices too, but they are not overpowering. The texture of this bread is soft and moist. I'm telling you...I'm feeling a bit guilty for cheating on my BH&G recipe but it was worth it!

I had this magazine clipping in my "to try" files and I have no idea which magazine I got it from. I must start writing things down! I hope you will give it a try and let me know what you think!

Streusel Topped Banana Bread

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups mashed banana (4-5 medium)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 recipe Streusel Topping

Preheat oven to 350-F. Grease a 9x5x3" loaf pan; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and ginger.  Make a well in the center  of the flour mixture and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mashed bananas, oil and sugar.  Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir just until moistened.  Fold in the walnuts.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.  Sprinkle with streusel topping.

Streusel Topping:
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup packed brown sugar and 3 TB flour.  Add 2 TB soft butter and combine with a fork or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped walnuts.

Bake 55-60 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 15 minutes to prevent over-browning.  Let sit in pan for 10 min. then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Happy Baking!


25 comments:

  1. Now what if I made the streusel topping AND added chocolate chips?! My buds might explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Lord, for sure!! But I like the idea... :-)

      Delete
  2. You did it again. Banana bread my favorite, I made some last week and didn't care for it, not much flavor and it was using cream cheese so I found another recipe using cream cheese and not impressed with that either. So next week I may try this one. The streusel sounds good. I have some on my page that I do like but always looking for another.................hope all is well enjoy hug, andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this one, Andi! I'm sorry the cream cheese recipe wasn't what you were hoping. I was eager to hear how it turned out. Yea, streusel toppings can vary. This one was super easy and I like that it is moist and buttery!

      Delete
  3. --I am always looking for new ideas for banana bread...this looks DElish <3

    I shall make this ( for sure ) ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too, why is that? LOL! Guess it's human to want new and "improved" !

      Delete
  4. I think I can taste this beautiful banana bread. MMMM! Would love to have you stop by my blog and link it up to Weekend Potluck...I'm a new co-host!!! Have a wonderful weekend. http://thebetterbaker.blogspot.com/2012/04/invitation-party-potluck-yall-come.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another scrumptious delicacy to try! I'm so not over the lemon tree in your backyard but continue to thank you for sharing all your great recipes with your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds good..I often have trouble with banana bread - too dry or too wet. But you can be sure I'll try this one. I happen to have some old bananas I need to use. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Banana Bread. The one I make includes chocolate chips. There's nothing like the combination of chocolate chips and banana. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I would eat this just for the streusel topping. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! This would be an indulgent breakfast! Would love you to link the post up at my new link party - Breakfast Ideas Mondays - http://www.yummyinspirations.net/2012/04/breakfast-ideas-mondays-1-new-link-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I adore banana bread...and a streusel topping only makes it better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling,
    Will you please email me your address... how am I supposed to send you your FABulous new lipstick? xoxo caffeinatedocmommy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love banana bread too! What could be better then banana bread and streusel topping? Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never put nutmeg or ginger in banana bread. I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Michael Ann, I confess--I've never had banana bread with streusel topping. She hangs her head. Now I know I have to try this recipe! By the way, are you okay with readers "pinning" your recipes to Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh the topping sounds divine! what a sweet idea...maybe my kids will like it better!! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never thought of streusel topping on banana bread before, but now that I've seen this, it's all I can think about! I can't wait to make this for my banana bread loving family. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I hadn't either, and why not? I know you will love it!

      Delete
  17. These look great! Love the streusel topping! Care to share this recipe this week on our Foodie Friends Friday linky party? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just popped this in the oven! No nuts though, my family not big fans of nuts, so I put oats in the stteusel topping! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...