Why This Blog?

Welcome!

Come in and make yourself at home. I'm so happy to be able to share my recipes here with you.

I bake mostly cookies, quick breads, muffins and scones -- sometimes pie, sometimes cake, but nothing too fancy. I prefer simple recipes that call for ingredients that I already have in my kitchen.

These are the recipes I will share with you. They come from family and friends, magazine clippings saved through the years, favorite cookbooks, and other blogs.

I'm so glad you came to visit. Enjoy your stay!

Michael Ann

Saturday, May 21, 2022

Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek)

I saw this recipe on Allrecipes.com and just had to try it. I love anything buttery and almondy and if it's easy to make with few ingredients, even better! It turned out so delicious, I know I will be making it frequently for years to come.  It makes two 8" cakes so you can bring one to work or give to a friend!

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened

1-1/2 cups white sugar

2 eggs, beaten 

1 TB (Tablespoon) almond extract

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

sliced almonds for the tops


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease two 8" round cake pans (or spray with baking spray).

In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  

In a small bowl, beat the eggs.  Add eggs to the butter mixture, saving about 1 TB to brush over the tops of the cakes.

Stir in the almond extract.

In another small bowl, combine the flour and baking powder with a whisk; stir into the batter by hand. The dough will be stiff. 

Spread dough evenly into the two prepared pans (an offset spatula works nicely for this). Brush the tops with the reserved egg and use the spatula to smooth it over, then sprinkle evenly with the sliced almonds.

Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Don't over bake or it will be dry!

Remove from oven and let cool in the pans about 10 minutes, then carefully remove to wire racks to cool completely.  Cut in wedges to serve.

Happy Baking!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...